Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Yield: Milk

I don't like cows, apart from eating them. I don't feel comfortable with their size. The Backyard Homestead offered some ideas on substitutes, namely goats. Apparently, cows yield 6gal/day. Way too much for me. Goats yield 3q/day - a much more usable quantity. Minigoats, the Nigerian Dwarf in particular, maxes out at about 60lbs of animal and produces 1q/day, which is just more than I consume in all forms. As goats are companion animals, you can imagine getting 2q/day - perfect for milk, yougurt, ice cream, and cheese. Apparently goat milk is also indistinguishable from cow milk when raw. In order to provide all the milk I can think of needing I need 2X Nigerian Dwarf goats. She doesn't say anything about whether Angora goats can also be milkers. Doubling the function of my goats would be nice. Mini-Angoras would also be nice. [I imagine goats could also be included in the compost process of returning nutrients to soil]

No comments:

Post a Comment